Tractive Releases List of Top 20 Disappearing Dog Breeds in Preparation for July 4th, the Biggest Runaway Day of the Year | Business
SEATTLE & PASCHING, Austria – (BUSINESS WIRE) – 06/18/2021–
Tractive, the world’s most trusted 24/7 real-time location tracking device for dogs and cats, today unveiled its list of the top 20 runaway dog breeds. The publication of the list is designed to help pet parents prepare for the biggest runaway day of the year, July 4th, which has typically seen a 30% increase in missing pets. Tractive is offering its industry-leading LTE dog tracker for just $ 35.00 – 30% off – for Amazon Prime Day June 21-22 to make it easy for pet parents to find their dogs should they slip . By ordering during Prime Day sale, owners have trackers in place before the stress of the vacation.
“Dogs have fight or flight instincts that are ingrained in their DNA, much like humans, but their triggers can be very different from ours,” said Andrew Bleiman, EVP of North America at Tractive. “Fireworks and gatherings such as barbecues where many people are in their ‘room’ are significant stress factors. Even during the summer holidays, there are usually many more open doors that allow an easy escape route. These factors can all contribute to the sharp rise in outliers around July 4th. “
The sight, sound, and vibration of fireworks can often be terrifying to dogs – especially those who have never heard them before. Given that many fireworks were canceled over the past year amid the pandemic, it is the first time that a larger pet population will be exposed than ever before.
The outliers: what we know
It is inevitable that certain races will run away more than others due to different personalities and circumstances. Tractive has researched tracker data from more than 40,000 dogs over the past 90 days to gain insight into the breeds most likely to run away. Notable findings are:
- Mixed breeds claim the top spot: These dogs are often shelter or rescue dogs. The data shows that pet adoption hit record numbers as the pandemic progressed, bringing many dogs into real homes for the first time. They tend to be especially vulnerable to fleeing in the face of fear or opportunity. In fact, data shows that mixed breeds are 4x more likely to run away than other breeds, 385% more likely than the average dog.
- Labradors at large: Despite their famed loyalty and family ties, Labrador Retrievers ranked right behind mongrels. While beagles and herding dogs have been known to flee to the forest for wildlife, it is the frisky laboratory that is statistically most likely to run away – nearly 340% more likely than the average dog.
- Young males top those most likely to take a break: Tractive data shows that males are 20% more likely to leave home than their female counterparts. It is also clear that there is a linear relationship between the likelihood of running out and the dog’s age between zero and three years. Dogs under one year old run away 34% more often than average, followed by one year olds 24% more likely and two year olds 22% more likely. From the age of three, dogs don’t run away more than average.
The top 10 breeds needing to flee in the United States, according to the latest Tractive data:
- Mixed race
- Labrador Retriever
- Siberian husky
- German shepherd dog
- Shiloh sheepdog
- Carolina dog
- Chow chow
- Kangal sheepdog
- Bluetick Coonhound
For the full list of the top 20 runaways and a breakdown by state, see here.
What can you do to keep your pet safe?
To protect your dog on July 4th, regardless of breed, please keep the following tips in mind:
- Make sure your dog gets plenty of exercise. Before the fireworks start or guests come by, take your normal dog walks and walk a little further or on an uphill trail than you normally would. This way, your dog will be calm and sleep better in the evening without paying attention to disturbances.
- Make a safe place for your dog around the house. When hosting a gathering, think ahead and dedicate a room or narrow space to your dog. Fill the space with your dog’s bedding – some food if you want – and other familiar items. If you are planning on going elsewhere, find a friend or family member to look after your dog for the evening.
- Keep your dog away from dangerous substances. On the 4th day there may be unusual substances that are toxic to your dog – so don’t forget to protect your dog from these canine poisons. Hazardous substances include: alcohol, fireworks, sparklers, chocolate, cigarettes, and drugs, including used marijuana smoke, chemicals, poisonous houseplants, salty snacks, and meat on bones.
- Spend time together. Since they are likely to be scared that day, be sure to calmly do so when you are busy with your dog. Some ideas are: play with a new or favorite toy, watch a movie marathon, bake dog and human treats together or build a fortress together. It’s just about calming and entertaining your dog.
- Keep an eye on them at all times with a dog GPS tracker. Some dogs inevitably leave the house. With the right GPS tracker, pet parents can pinpoint their dog’s location in real time. Finding a missing pet quickly can keep the dog safe and keep you safe.
Tractive offers industry-leading GPS live tracking for dogs with no distance restrictions thanks to well-established roaming capabilities on more than 600 cellular networks and multiple cellular operators in the United States. This virtually removes all geographic restrictions and allows tracking in some of the most remote areas where dogs can easily be lost. It also updates every two to three seconds, much faster than any other pet tracker on the market today. Tractive is also the highest rated tracker in the world, trusted by users in 175 countries.
Get the Tractive LTE Dog Tracker for a 30% discount on Amazon from June 21-22 for the special Prime Day event.
Tractive was founded in Austria in 2012 by a group of energetic entrepreneurs who want lost pets to be a thing of the past. They specialize in pet technology, wearables and apps development. In addition to its GPS trackers and the Tractive GPS app, the company uses its extensive pet data and expertise to excite its users and make the world a better place for cats and dogs.
GMK communication for Tractive
KEYWORD: AUSTRIA EUROPE UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA WASHINGTON
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: TECHNOLOGY MOBILE / WIRELESS PETS SOFTWARE HARDWARE CONSUMERS RETAIL CONSUMERS ELECTRONICS ONLINE RETAIL
Copyright Business Wire 2021.
PUB: 6/18/2021 9:00 AM / DISC: 6/18/2021 9:02 AM
Copyright Business Wire 2021.